Our current challenge at HANDSTAMPED SENTIMENTS (#381) is a color challenge.
I selected the Sketch from the Paper Players (#575) Challenge. My personal challenge was to use this sketch to create a single layer card highlighting the new Layering Decorative Masks – Butterflies and Flowers.
Here is the result:
- Card Base: (8½” x 5½” scored at 4¼”) Basic Black cardstock.
- Background Panel: (4” x 5¼”) Basic White cardstock.
- Focal Image – Butterfly (3¾” x 2¾”)
- From the new Butterflies &Flowers Layering Decorative Masks pack, I chose the Butterfly mask. The mask was held in place with re-positional low tack tape and other aspects were masked with Post-It Notes as needed.
- Petal Pink ink was added with a Blending Brush to the open body Butterfly.
- The detail Butterfly Wings were positioned over the open body Butterfly and Daffodil Delight ink was added with a Blending Brush.
- Pumpkin Pie ink was added with a Sponge Dauber to the Butterfly Wings edges and dots.
- To make the Butterfly stand out from the background, I used the fine-tipped end of the Stampin’ Write Basic Black Marker to outline/doodle the image.
- I created a temporary mask by tracing the open Butterfly on to copy paper and trimming it with Paper Snips. I used this mask to cover the entire Butterfly.
- Panel Split – Top: (4” x 2”) Soft Seafoam ink was added with a Blending Brush. The soft color frames the Butterfly.
- Panel Split – Bottom: (4” x 3¼”)
- I selected the Mini Diamond patterned mask from the retired Pattern Party Decorative Masks set. This mask was chosen for the small pattern.
- Daffodil Delight, Pumpkin Pie and Petal Pink inks were added with Blending Brushes for an Ombre look.
- Once dry, I added Soft Seafoam ink over top with a Blending Brush to blend with the top and tone down the “white”.
- The sentiment, Sending positive thoughts…, from the Positive Thoughts stamp set was stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
- The Butterfly image felt like it needed a little something else. Using Stampin’ Blends, I added a little Pumpkin Pie color to the Butterfly body and a bit of retired Soft Sky shading around the Butterfly.
The completed panel was added to the card base and a few Matte Black Dots embellishments were also affixed for subtle bling.
It can be scary and challenging to create a single layer card that incorporates patterns and images. Often single layer cards fall in to the very clean and simple esthetic.
I am happy with how this card turned out. It will be going to a friend who has just let me know she is having some health issues.
I hope I have given you some inspiration and that you will try using your Decorative Masks.
Will you join us for this Color challenge and post your creations. I look forward to seeing what you will make?
Thanks for spending some of your time with me today. Cheers, Jolanda!
Need a card? Ask me and I can create one for you. Want the supplies to create your own, let me know and I can help you with that too!
Like this card? Want to make one similar?
I would LOVE to be your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator. If you live in the United States, you can order your paper crafting supplies from my on-line store. It is so easy. THANK YOU!
If you choose to shop with me today, please use HOSTESS CODE: PU39MFMB (January 2022) if you spend less than $150.00. Remember that you can select FREE Sale-a-bration items with every qualifying $50.00 or $100.00 purchase during January and February.
One thought on “Positive Thoughts – Pretty Butterfly”
You did a great job with this stencil! I’m just beginning to play with mine! Fun colors too! Thanks for playing with us at the Players this week with this sweet creation!