I have combined the two weekend challenges to create a single card.
WEEKEND TECHNIQUE CHALLENGE – Use Soft Pastels. SUNDAY SKETCH CHALLENGE – SS008 and the Paper Players Challenge (#553) for the colors.
Here is the result:
There are several ways to use the new Soft Pastels and I tried three different techniques:
- (1) Direct to Paper. Using the Pastel as a crayon, color is applied directly to the center of the stamped image and then dragging the color out using a Q-Tip.
- (2) Water Bath Marbling. The Pastels are shaved with a Crafting Knife to get colored dust which is then sprinkled in to a water bath, lightly swirled together and the watercolor paper is laid on top and then removed and allowed to dry.
- (3) Smudged. The Pastels are shaved with a Crafting Knife direct to wet paper and spritzed with water. The shavings do not spread like ink but when dry, I smoothed/smudged out the sprinkles with my finger to create greater depth of color in select places.
- Focal Image: (2” x 2”) Basic White cardstock. The small Sunflower stamp from the Celebrate Sunflowers stamp set was stamped three times with Memento Tuxedo Black ink and colored using Technique (1). The Soft Pastels chosen were Daffodil Delight, Mango Melody, Poppy Parade and Mossy Meadow. The Sunflowers were then die-cut with the coordinating die from the Sunflowers Dies set.
- Focal Image Accent Mat: (1⅜” x 1⅜”) Mossy Meadow cardstock scrap was cut into three squares and then dry-embossed with the Tasteful Textile 3D Embossing Folder.
- Rectangle Panel: (5” x 1¾”) Poppy Parade cardstock.
- Flag: (1⅜” x 2”): Mossy Meadow cardstock scrap flagged (¾”).
- Background Panel: (5¼” x 4”) Fluid 100 Watercolor Paper. Marbled and Smudged using Techniques (2) and (3). Once the panel was completely dry, the sentiment, Wishing you every happiness…, from the Peaceful Moments stamp set was stamped with Mossy Meadow ink.
To complete this card, I chose a Mossy Meadow card base (8½” x 5½” scored at 4¼”). All of the elements were adhered to match the sketch. I took a little liberty with the colors substituting Poppy Parade for Real Red, Mossy Meadow for Old Olive and adding Mango Melody to the Daffodil Delight for a deeper contrast.
I am looking forward to exploring more Soft Pastel techniques and using more of the colors in the pack. What do you think? Will you give the Soft Pastels a try?
Thanks for spending some of your time with me today. Cheers, Jolanda!
Need a card? Ask me and I can create one for you. Want the supplies to create your own, let me know and I can help you with that too!
Like this card? Want to make one similar?
I would LOVE to be your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator. If you live in the United States, you can order your paper crafting supplies from my on-line store. It is so easy. THANK YOU!
If you choose to shop with me today, please use HOSTESS CODE: Z9TAQFFR (August 2021) if you spend less than $150.00.
5 thoughts on “Celebrate Sunflowers – Happiness”
This is lovely! Thanks for introducing me to a new challenge..I’ve never heard of the weekend one! I love things in threes, so your sunflowers immediately made me smile! And I need to work with pastels a bit more, so that’s a nice addition! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Players!
LikeLiked by 1 person
The Weekend Challenge was created by me to keep my clients stamping. I welcome anyone to participate. They can be found on my Events Calendar on my website: jolandajohnstone.stampinup.net
I also publish the challenge each Friday on my Facebook page.
Glad you like my card. Thanks and Cheers, Jolanda
SO nice that you started a new challenge! How fun! Your sunflowers are so beautiful! I just love them! You made my colors shine! So happy you joined my challenge at The Paper Players this week!
Joalnda, how lovely are your sunflowers! Not only did you use the challenge colors perfectly, but your background soft pastel inking is stunning. A beautiful display of color and texture. Thank you for joining us at the Paper Players this week.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi Debbie, Thank you!