There are a couple of challenges out there that are asking for a “FUN FOLD”. So, I decided to play along…
They are the Stampin’ Up! Only Challenge (#283) and the Double Trouble Twist Challenge (#92). For my layout, I chose the Tuesday Morning Sketch Challenge (#622).
Here is the result: I chose to make an EASEL CARD
- To create the Easel Card, I scored my card base (11” x 4¼”) at (5½” and 2¾”) with the Simply Scored Scoring Tool™. The card base was folded in half and then in half again. Each fold was creased with the Bone Folder for a sharp edge.
- To create the central shape, I traced the shape of the Hot Air Balloon die from the retired Up & Away Dies set on to a scrap of Basic White card stock and fussy cut it with Paper Snips. I then die-cut five Hot Air Balloons, one in Basic White to be the frame and four in Play Doh colors: Poppy Parade, Granny Apple Green, Pumpkin Pie and Bermuda Bay. The fussy cut Hot Air Balloon shape was cover with temporary adhesive and the Basic White Hot Air Balloon die cut was fixed in place. Then the fun began…using pieces from all the other die cut colored Hot Air Balloons, I paper-pieced to fill in the spaces and complete the Hot Air Balloon. This is a labor of love for the patient but it looks awesome! To fix the pieces of the Hot Air Balloon, I dry-embossed it with the Subtle 3D Embossing Folder.
- For the horizontal cross strip, I chose Bermuda Bay cardstock (2” x 5½”).
- For the square background, I chose the multi-colored diagonal stripe pattern from the Hostess Pattern Party Designer Series Paper pack (4¼” x 4¼).
- For the standing card front, I selected Pumpkin Pie cardstock (4¼” x 5½”) to tie all the colors together. The background square, the cross strip and the Hot Air Balloon were adhered to the card front. I felt that the front was busy enough and opted to eliminate the four corner embellishments. Nothing that I had in my stash seemed to work or improve the overall design.
- The card front was adhered to the lower half of the card base front (2¾”) section. Any color card base would work to make the Easel Card and I chose to color match by selecting Pumpkin Pie cardstock.
- The trick of an Easel Card is to create a “stop” so that the card front will stay propped up.
- I lined the inside of the card with a Basic White cardstock panel (4¼” x 5⅜”). This is cut just a bit shorter than (5½”) so the card will close nicely.
- I cut an additional piece of patterned paper (4¼” x 2”) and adhered it to another piece of Basic White cardstock the same size to increase the height and work as a “stop”.
- Now for the sentiment…I opted to die-cut Happy Birthday from a scrap of Basic White cardstock with the retired Happy Birthday Die. I cut the two words apart. Happy was added to the card front above the Hot Air Balloon and the Birthday was adhered to a scrap piece of Bermuda Bay cardstock (3¾” x1½”) which was then centered and adhered on the inside card patterned paper piece.
Whew! The bright and colorful fun fold card is done. This card will surely have to go to someone very special…
Thanks for spending some of your time with me today. Cheers, Jolanda!
Need a card? Ask me and I can create one for you. Want the supplies to create your own, let me know and I can help you with that too!
Like this card? Want to make one similar?
I would LOVE to be your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator. If you live in the United States, you can order your paper crafting supplies from my on-line store. It is so easy. THANK YOU!
If you choose to shop with me today, please use HOSTESS CODE: HUZ732BW (September 2021) if you spend less than $150.00.
5 thoughts on “Up & Away – Happy Birthday”
A lot of work went into piecing together your air balloon and well worth the time. Your air balloon color piecing and bright colors in your design paper are so cheery and love how you placed your sentiment on your easel card… beautiful and fun easel. Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble. Thing 2 Double Dare would love you to share your card with Creative Creases, since you have met their challenge also. Click here to join their challenge: https://secretstamper.com/2021/09/love-of-leaves-cascade-card-for-creative-creases-14/
Holy smokes, Jolanda, are serious right now??? That is an AMAZING paper-piecing job! I have never thought to add that much color detail to that balloon, and it is absolutely gorgeous! All my fave colors and papers thrown in to boot, and my fave fun fold – the easel. You’re a rock star! Thanks so much for playing at SUO!
What a beautiful card. You put a lot of work into all that piecing! Thank you for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.
Love your easel card, one of the best fun folds there is! And all the work on your in laid die cut balloon turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing with us at Double Trouble!
Your card is beautiful, Jolanda! Love all the different colors on the hot air balloon, it looks gorgeous. Thank you for playing along with us at SUO Challenges, hope to see you in our gallery again for a new challenge starting today!