The theme challenge selected by the Global Design Project team, GDP874, is “by the sea”. I decided to use the current sketch challenge over at The Spot Creative Challenge – #157 for the layout of the card.
And this is the result:
The two little girls and their pails reminded me of searching for shells at the beach. I only had retired stamps in my stash related to the theme, so I went on a hunt and found By the Tide. Finding a Conch Shell was such a big deal…
- Evocative of the sea, I chose to do some water-coloring. Using a wet-on-wet technique, Fluid 100 Water Color Paper and Classic Ink Refills, the background panel (3¾” x 5”) was colored with Balmy Blue ink and the side panel (1¾” x 4¾”) was colored with a Petal Pink and Crumb Cake ink bleed. A scrap was also colored in Petal Pink.
- The Word Verse stamp from the By the Tide stamp set was stamped with Smoky Slate ink on to the Balmy Blue background panel. The intention was to suggest lapping water waves coming on to the beach.
- The Girls from the Beautiful Moments stamp set was stamped twice with Smoky Slate ink. Once on the Petal Pink/Crumb Cake side panel and once on to another scrap of Fluid 100 Water Color Paper.
- The Girls were colored in a variety of Stampin’ Blends and then fussy cut. The cut image was then adhered over the stamped image on the side panel. This gives them a bit of dimension.
- I stamped the Conch Shell from the By the Tide stamp set on to the Petal Pink painted scrap. One at full strength Smoky Slate and another stamped off for a softer look. I opted for the stamped off image but fussy cut both and layered one on top of the other. Again, for some dimension.
- The sentiment, Happy Day, from the Itty Bitty Birthdays stamp set was chosen because this is a memory of a happy day at the sea. The sentiment was stamped on a scrap (2” x ½”) of Basic White cardstock in Smoky Slate ink.
- I opted for a Basic White mat (4” x 5¼”) and a Smoky Slate card base (8½” x 5¼” scored at 4 ¼”) to finish off the card.
- The sentiment label felt too bright against the Balmy Blue background so I chose to color it with a mix of Balmy Blue and Pool Party Stampin’ Blends. Not totally perfect but I liked the overall look much better.
Do you have a favorite memory of the sea or the beach? Share it with me.
Thanks for spending some of your time with me today. Cheers, Jolanda!
Need a card? Ask me and I can create one for you. Want the supplies to create your own, let me know and I can help you with that too!
Like this card? Want to make one?
I would LOVE to be your Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator. If you live in the United States you can order your paper crafting supplies from my on-line store. It is so easy. THANK YOU!
Principle Product Supply List: If you choose to shop with me today, please use HOSTESS CODE: T64MCSN7 (April 2021) if you spend less than $150.00.